Friday, May 29, 2015

Another Day of Rain: Yard Cleanup will Take a Week

The weather forecast called for sun today and I cleared my schedule so I could go outdoors and start pulling the weeds from my garden beds.  The entire yard is saturated with rain water and there are standing puddles and mud everywhere.  When I look at my yard I do get overwhelmed because clean up will take at least a week.
Rain Rain go away, come again some other day

Rain has made the gross grow FAST.  Need to mow the lawn

Need at least a week to manicure the lawn and gardens.  Too much rain made weeds grow FAST

The only thing I accomplished today was pulling out my rotted vegetables from the organic raised garden bed.  Too much rain, flash flooding and when the soil is saturated with water the veggies will not grow.   To do this garden task really  made me sick because we grow our own food.

I started to clean up the garden mess when the dark clouds rolled in, then heard the lightening in the distance and knew it would be another day of rain.  Hoping that tomorrow will bring sunshine and that I can work in the yard and gardens for several hours.

Before I go, I wanted to share with you all a new organic weed killer that I picked up to kill the weeds between my stepping stones.  The product name is Avenger weed killer and it is available in concentrate or ready to use.

I prefer the ready to use 1 gallon size.  This formula in non toxic and is safe to use around your flowers.   Know that if you plan on killing weeds do not use this product on a cloudy day or when the ground is wet.  For best results use this weed killer on a hot and sunny day.  The heat from the sun will activate the formula and the weeds will turn brown in a couple of hours.

Avenger weed killer does work and it is great for controlling weed growth between sidewalk, garden path and where hand-pull is not easy.  You can find and buy this non toxic product at most home and garden centers including Lowes.com  Homedepot.com  and Walmart.com

2 comments:

Sheila Brown said...

I know just how you feel, Susan! It has rained almost every day here in southern Oklahoma too. Most of my vegetables have drown in my garden as well. For Mother's Day, hubby took me to my favorite place to buy flowers for the yard and I still haven't been able to plant most of them as the ground is just soggy! We are expecting more rain today and tomorrow, then we should have at least 5 days of sunshine. I am so looking forward to that!

S Golis said...

+Shelia Brown here in Missouri I am starting over in my vegetable gardens plus have noticed that I have many garden pests including powdery mildew. Not doubt due to the ground being saturated with rain water, no sun for 29 days. Today it was sunny, hot and buggy. How about you?