Monday, October 26, 2015

Perennial Grasses add Interest to Winter Garden



Today my neighbor came to see me, he had his lawn trimmer in his hand, and he asked me how far back he should cut his perennial grass garden. I replied that spring is the best time to cut the grass back and that I recommend that the grasses be left alone in the fall and winter because the dry grass will add interest to his yard and garden.


Here are photos of my grass garden in the spring, summer, and winter.
  

Spring when grasses are starting to grow

My grass garden early summer

Grass garden in winter





The winters are long and cold and I think the dried grasses look nice. The grass plumes are eye-appealing plus they add movement and provide wildlife with shelter, and windbreak for birds, rabbits, and cats. 
Feral Gray Tabby Cat in Woods Greeting Card


In the autumn season after I remove the leaves I trim the grasses so they are more manicured and off the garden path.  Then I will mulch around the garden fountain and perennial grasses. This mulch will add a more manicured look to the garden.

You can also highlight the grass garden with solar lights then when you look out at your yard at night during the winter months, you will view a grass garden that is eye appealing.  This is why I recommend leaving your ornamental grasses alone throughout the autumn and winter months.  

Here is a photograph of my grass garden next to my garden path.  The November photo was taken after I trimmed the grass as it had grown over the stepping stones.

.
Grass garden in autumn, dried plumes look lovely





.







No comments: