Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Hot Pepper Wax Natural Animal and Insect Repellent

When it comes to repelling plant-eating garden pests I prefer to apply organic products rather than chemicals and have been using diatomaceous earth in the soil but found I needed something else for the leaf nibblers. So when the girls at my garden club were talking about a hot pepper wax spray that they used to repel animals and insects; deer, groundhogs, squirrels, aphids, spider mites, leafhoppers, and other garden insects that ate plants I took notes.

The organic pepper spray sounded great, but I wondered if the formula would be too strong for some of my herb plants since the application was to spray the entire plant including the soil in the garden. Sure enough, I was told that some plants are sensitive to pepper spray and that I should not treat the herbs peppermint, basil, lemon balm, or parsley. I am certain there are a few plants in my garden that will be sensitive to this potent pepper spray so I plan to test the plant by spraying a small amount on a leaf to see what happens, before spraying the entire garden bed.
Know that hot pepper wax should be spayed at dusk, this will allow the wax to harden due to the cooler air. Wax would not coat the leaves if sprayed on a sunny day. Make sure that you spray the entire plant, that includes the front and backside of the leaves, the stem, bud, and flower, The pepper spray will protect all plants that are treated in the garden from pests, however, you must watch for new growth. Anything new will be unprotected.
 On average the pepper spray lasts about two weeks. Know that when you harvest your edible plants you must wash them with warm water to remove the hot pepper wax. I had a deer take a bite of my lily leaves, the pepper wax did not stop the deer, BUT the deer had a coughing fit, then drank from my pond before leaving my yard. So you bet the hot pepper wax spray works.

You can buy hot pepper wax spray for animal and insect repellent at ebay.com (one-gallon concentrate) 

No comments: