Hydrate the dogwood root ball in a bucket of tepid water a half hour before you plant. Then plant by setting the root ball in the center of the hole on top of the mounded dirt. The elevated soil will prevent overcrowding of the roots.
Keep the soil evenly moist. Water daily with drip irrigation, water in the morning and late afternoon to prevent summer drought conditions as this will cause the red twig to suffer stress.
- Keep soil moist throughout growing season (spring, summer, autumn)
- Apply three inches of mulch in autumn.
- Fertilizer in spring
- Plant the red twig dogwood in US zones: 3 through 8.
- Red twig dogwood is deciduous.
- The twigs are plyable and make for attractive wreaths and holiday decorations.