Thursday, February 12, 2015

Growing Medicinal Herbs in Sun Garden

Normally I grow lavender, aloe Vera and German chamomile, rosemary lemon balm, and peppermint in my medicinal herb gardens but this year I intend on growing lemon balm, witch hazel, and St. Johns wort, thus creating a medicinal herb garden that will ease my aches, pain, heal cuts and help me to get to sleep.
Pretty yellow flower of the St Johns Wort herb plant
A photo of lemon balm growing in my garden. The leaves look like mint, and the entire plant has a strong lemon scent.  The bloom attracts butterflies.
The lavender, chamomile, and lemon balm are good for relieving stress and are a natural sleep remedy. Aloe Vera is good for stomach upset and constipation when taken internally however this herb is also good for your skin, a natural remedy for burns, and when used as a moisturizer will reduce the signs of aging. Witch hazel makes an excellent compress for bruises and St. Johns wort is an anti-inflammatory and is good when used as a compress for small cuts or wounds. It can also be used to treat stomach upset and mild depression.
Rosemary in garden

I grow these medicinal herbs in gardens outdoors, the Aloe Vera is grown in my kitchen in a container. My gardens are raised beds with organic soil. The area is sunny with partial shade in the afternoon because my summers are too darn hot.
When it comes to growing a medicinal herb garden I care for my plants by watering them in the early morning. And when it is really hot I will mist the herb garden in the late afternoon to prevent the flowers and leaves from wilting.
In the past, I have been successful in growing a variety of herbs in the garden and I am looking forward to growing new herbs; witch hazel, and St, Johns Wort this year.
View this youtube video to learn about other medicinal herbs that you can grow in your garden.

No comments: