Saturday, March 2, 2024

Growing Fuchsia in a Container

 Last summer my brother gave me a Fuchsia flowering plant in a hanging container and told me that it would attract hummingbirds.  This pretty purple and rose-colored Fuchsia bloomed from early summer to frost and did indeed attract hummingbirds.

 


Hummingbirds and bees seem to enjoy the small, double purple and red flowers The colorful blooms looked stunning against the dark-green leaves. 




Overall, I did not do much with the plant besides hanging the container from the overhang of my side porch in a shady area with partial morning sun and watering when the soil felt dry.   

Fuchsia is a low-maintenance plant that anyone can grow. 



Winter Care

I did prune this plant in the early fall when the flowers stopped blooming and brought it indoors during the winter months.  I am not certain if the plant will return in the spring.  

I applied a light mulch to the soil and hung the plant in my basement/crawl space where the temperature is an average of 45 degrees the basement is cool, dark, and dry and it will prevent the plant from being exposed to frost.

 During the winter months, I water the dormant plant sparingly to make sure the soil is not overly dry.

No comments: