Saturday, July 27, 2024

Grow Black-Eyed Susan Vine from Seed

 

 

In March I bought from 100  Thungergia Black-Eyed Susan flowering vine seed mix for planting in a container that would be located in a sunny location.

Here is a photo of a fully grown  black-eyed Susan flowering vine

 


The photo shown was of an ivy like trailing plant that was covered in yellow blooms.  I thought it was pretty so I bought and planted indoors so it would grow for eight weeks or until the threat of spring frost would pass.



 

The direction of the back of the seed packet indicated that it was best to soak the seeds in tepid water overnight.  The following morning I  planted the seeds in a container that was filled with miracle grow  well-drained soil that was formulated container gardens.  I then watered, then covered the flower bed with saran wrap.  The indoor hanging container was then hung next to a southern exposure window.

 Here are a few of my photos 






The annual seeds for USDA zone 3 to 10 germinated very quickly and produced strong leafy vines.  In May I brought the container outdoors and hung in an area where it would get 6 hours of sun daily.

 

I fed with miracle grow bloom booster and kept the soil moist.  My yard does not get a lot of sun and this plant needs full sun.  For me it bloomed once two small flowers.

Know that if I had more sun in my yard that this plant would produce more blooms.  I like the plant as it is pretty and plan on bringing it indoors in the winter.

 


If you have a lot sun in your yard then I would recommend that you grow   the black-eyed Susan flowering vine as it is low maintenance, produces pretty longs season flowers that will add interest to your yard and garden.        

No comments: