Tuesday, September 1, 2026

A Summer of Loss: How Extreme Heat and Drought Changed My Garden

 

“Drought‑stricken garden with cracked soil, dry plants, and a metal watering can beside gloves under warm sunlight — symbolizing extreme heat and water scarcity.”


I haven’t been doing much gardening lately, and I wanted to share why. This summer has been one of the hardest seasons I’ve ever experienced in my yard. For nearly two months, we’ve had extreme heat with temperatures reaching 110°, paired with severe drought conditions and strict water restrictions. It became impossible to keep my crops, shrubs, trees, and flowers hydrated, no matter how hard I tried.

I lost so much this year. Lilac bushes that had been growing here for over 50 years  long before I owned this home  turned brown and died. I lost around 300 irises, tiger lilies, daylilies, and several trees, including fruit‑bearing varieties that normally feed wildlife. Everything simply dried up.

And it wasn’t just the ornamental plants. I prioritized my crops first, but even that wasn’t enough. I lost all my tomatoes, my eggplant, watermelon, and my cucumbers. All that’s left now are a few stalks of corn the only crop that managed to hang on through the heat.

I did everything I could. I saved bath water. I poured out pet bowl water into my watering can instead of down the drain. I used every drop of rainwater I had collected in barrels during spring but by July, it was gone. And with no rain for seven straight weeks, there was nothing left to give the garden.

When the city announced new watering restrictions, many residents myself included were frustrated. We were told exactly how and when we could water, even though our gardens were already suffering. Meanwhile, large facilities like data centers, which use millions of gallons of water daily, were not included in the same restrictions. It didn’t feel right, and it didn’t feel fair. And honestly, areas that face extreme heat and drought every summer may not be the best locations for water‑intensive data centers.

Normally, this is the time of year when I plan my fall garden — container setups, mums, cool‑season crops. But with the soil baked, the plants gone, and the heat still lingering, I don’t have any fall garden plans pending. I’m simply trying to regroup, recover, and figure out what comes next.

🌵 What Extreme Heat Does to a Garden

This kind of prolonged heat and drought doesn’t just stress plants it fundamentally changes the landscape.

  • Roots shrink and die back because the soil becomes too hot.
  • Moisture evaporates instantly, even in shaded areas.
  • Shrubs and trees lose decades of growth in a single season.
  • Pollinators disappear, reducing fruit production.
  • Wildlife struggles, losing food sources and shade.
  • Vegetable crops fail even with daily care.

When temperatures stay above 100° for weeks, plants enter survival mode. Many simply can’t come back from that.

💧 Water Restrictions and the Reality of Drought Gardening

Water restrictions are meant to protect the community’s supply, but they make gardening nearly impossible during extreme heat. When you can only water during certain hours or only on certain days plants that need daily hydration simply can’t survive.

What made this summer especially difficult was the imbalance:

  • Residents were restricted.
  • High‑water‑use facilities were not.

Gardeners felt the impact immediately. Even drought‑tolerant plants struggled. Established trees suffered. Lawns turned to straw. And container gardens became impossible to maintain.

🌱 What I Did to Try to Save My Garden

I used every method I could think of:

  • Saved bath water
  • Recycled pet bowl water
  • Used rain barrels until they were bone dry
  • Mulched heavily
  • Watered at dawn to reduce evaporation
  • Prioritized food crops first
  • Tried to shade delicate plants

But when the heat doesn’t break and the rain doesn’t come, even the best efforts can only go so far.

🍂 Why I’m Not Planting a Fall Garden This Year

Fall is usually my favorite season to garden. I love planning mums, container arrangements, cool‑season vegetables, and refreshing the yard after summer.

This year, though:

  • The soil is too damaged.
  • The heat hasn’t broken.
  • There’s no rain in the forecast.
  • The drought is still severe.
  • The plants I would normally rely on are gone.
  • Even my crops didn’t survive.

Instead of planting, I’m focusing on assessing the damage, planning long‑term recovery, and deciding what the garden will look like next year.

🌼 Moving Forward: What Gardeners Can Do After a Season Like This

If you’ve experienced similar losses, here are steps to begin recovery:

1. Wait for cooler temperatures

Don’t replant until daytime highs consistently stay below 85°.

2. Test your soil

Extreme heat can destroy soil structure. You may need compost, organic matter, or moisture‑retaining amendments to rebuild it.

3. Remove dead plants gradually

Don’t rush. Some may surprise you and return next spring.

4. Water deeply when allowed

Long, slow watering helps rebuild root systems when restrictions permit.

5. Plan drought‑resistant replacements

Choose plants that can handle future heat waves and dry spells.

6. Consider shade cloth or temporary protection

Even a little shade can save a plant during extreme heat.

🌻 A Final Thought

This summer changed my garden in ways I never expected. I’ve lost plants that were part of this home’s history, and it’s heartbreaking. I’ve lost crops I depended on. But gardening has always been about resilience for the plants and for us.

I’ll rebuild. The garden will come back. And when it does, it will be stronger, wiser, and better prepared for the climate we’re facing.

If you’ve struggled this summer too, you’re not alone. We’ll get through this together, one season at a time.

No comments: