Friday, July 26, 2013

Slug Control in Hosta Garden



This week I find that I have a new garden pest to battle.  The slug has taken over my hosta garden.  My husband used an old gardener’s remedy by putting out a saucer of stale beer mixed with yeast in center of the hostas .  The slugs are attracted to the yeast and will crawl into the small pool of beer.  Once inside the dish of beer the slugs cannot get out.  
 
Hosta Leaf with Slug Damage

Another way to rid your garden of slugs is to spray your garden with a mixture of one tablespoon of baking soda, one tablespoon of horticultural oil and one gallon of water.  Mix well and pour into a garden sprayer.  Spray the leaves, stems and the garden bed early in the morning or late after; any time when the sun is not intense.  


View this video on how to make the beer slug and snail pest control for garden.


1 comment:

virginiaallain said...

Lots of rain here in NH means the slugs are living it up. My poor hosta.

Thanks for this timely advice. I'll try the spray. Hubby won't share his beer.