Friday, June 13, 2014

Summer Season Gardening Checklist

Now that spring has come to an end, I find that I need to get my garden ready for summer. Today I went into the garden with a clipboard so I could make a checklist.   

Before I knew it my list was two pages long and I knew by looking at the lists of tasks that I would need my husband's help to get the gardens manicured and ready for the summer season.

My yard and garden checklist:

  1. Cut back spent flower blooms
  2. Remove all weeds and grasses from flower gardens by doing a hand pull
  3. Prune spring-blooming shrubs
  4. Cut back overgrowth on trees
  5. Plant zinnia flower seeds 
  6. Update Moroccan tile planter gardens with heat-seeking petunia wave flowers or sun-loving herbs
  7. Add a thick layer of organic mulch to all gardens, around shrubs and trees
  8. Use a vinegar solution to kill weeds growing in garden paths and flagstone patio
  9. Remove spring tree droppings from gutters
  10. Control yard and garden pests; mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, and chiggers with organic pest control; garlic or Diatomaceous  Earth food grade.
  11. Add outdoor accessories and patio lights to make the yard and garden more appealing
Note: A good way to get garden jobs done is to divide the yard into sections, then complete one section before moving on to the next one.

No comments: