Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Amaryllis Belladonna Naked Ladies, Surprise Lily are Blooming

 There are many common names for this Amaryllis Belladonna but the most common name is the naked-lady-lily.  Amaryllis belladonna is derived from “Italian belladonna which means beautiful lady.  I will agree that this flower when it blooms it brightens your yard with beauty.

Whatever you call these showy funnel-shaped flowers that grow on a leafless stem they are blooming now and the sweet fragrance is lingering in the air. The hummingbirds are feeding on the nectar and it's a glorious time to outdoors enjoying your flower garden.

I planted them in my yard a decade ago with a dozen bulbs and they have naturalized all over my yard and garden I have even seen a few growing in the woods. I suspect that a bird ate the seeds and this is why the flowers are now blooming in the middle of the woods but I am not certain because I have tried to plant the seeds in a sunny location where the soil was well-drained. I dug a shallow hole and just lightly covered the seeds. None of the seeds that I planted grew into a late summer naked-lady bloom. I will see green leaves in the spring but flowers take a long time and are well worth the wait.

Here are a few photographs of Amaryllis Belladonna’s / naked ladies that grow in my yard and gardens.












No comments: