Saturday, February 20, 2016

Grow Violas in Containers - Garden Tips

  Now that it is early spring and the crocus and daffodils are blooming I want to add more color to my container's gardens and will achieve this by planting cool-season violas. Viola flowers are in the violet family; some are perennial, others are annuals and a few grow wild in your yard.




I find that the viola flower looks best when grown in freestanding containers, this is a small flower that seems to get lost when grown in the garden. Viola comes in a variety of colors; red, purple, yellow, and white are my favorite colors as these colors are so cheerful.


Before I plant in my container I always like to remove the plastic liner and I never use preexisting dirt. I will remove the dirt and wash the plastic liner with antibacterial dawn dish soap, rinse well, and let the liner air dry. Then I will fill the container liner with potting soil that is amended with compost or manure.


 When planting I like to plant using a color story I love violet grown with yellow and also containers of the same color violas.  Once the violas are planted, add some mulch before setting the container where the flowers will get lots of sun. 



This year I bought a variety of viola flowers from Lowe's garden center, know that it is important to watch the violas for the first month to make sure that the soil does not dry out. Dry soil can cause the plant to feel stress and it may die. You want to keep the soil moist but not wet. Too wet of soil is not good for Violas.


I do recommend applying a layer of mulch to go around the viola plants but stay a good inches away from the plant stem. Violas are hardy to 20” F which makes them ideal for early spring container gardens. 


No comments: