Having a small yard is no excuse for not growing roses. You can brighten your patio, terrace or deck with a variety of mini roses grown in large or medium containers. These roses start to bloom in early summer and will provide you with multiple blooms until there is a hard frost.
I recommend that you plant roses in part shade to full sun. Then shop for containers that will provide ample space for your roses. Miniature roses when fully grown are 18 inches in height with a spread of 24 inches. Make sure your containers provide drainage. Turn the pot over to check for water drainage.
There are two ways to buy miniature roses. You can shop online in late winter / early spring and buy a bare root rose bush. Or you can find roses at your local garden center or online nursery and buy miniature roses that are grown in a pot. Follow the planting recommendations for your growing zones.
Know that growing a few roses in a container will look eye appealing, but does not benefit the roses if they are grown too close. This plant needs good air circulation. Healthy roses do better when they are not competing with other plants for water or nutrients. So buy a container that will allow your to space the roses so they are not cramped.
Planting and Maintaining Roses
- Add two inches of pea gravel to your container to help with water drainage
- Amend garden soil with compost. The best way to do this is to mix in a wheelbarrow before you add soil to the container.
- Dig a hole that is 18 to 24 inches deep and space roses 18 inches apart.
- Backfill the container with soil. Then water the roses. Let the water drain before adding more soil. Fill the container with the remaining soil. Firm the soil around the stem leaving the bud union level with the soil.
- Keep the soil evenly moist but not wet as it is important to not let the roots dry out.
- Add mulch around the sugar plum rose bush to aid in moisture control and to prevent weed growth.
- Feed miniature roses bushes with fertilizer granules formulated for their specific needs. I like Bayer systemic rose and flower care because it protects the roses from harmful insects. You can buy this product at Walmart.com
- Transplant roses every 2 to 3 years to prevent roses from becoming root bound.